Italy is famous for many of the worlds most visited and heralded attractions. With this is mind, it is obvious that it is very difficult to narrow Italy’s tourist attractions to the top 5. However, given VIVA Tuscany Tours vast experience in helping countless guests plan their dream Italy Tour package,we know that the following are truly must see Italy tourist attractions:
- The Coliseum in Rome, Italy. For tourists making their way through Italy, whether it is your first time or your fifth time, the Coliseum is a must see and must tour kind of place. Simply taking pictures OUTSIDE the Coliseum is not enough. To full understand and appreciate this structure that has stood the test of time, that has witnessed some of this worlds greatest warriors battle for their lives as a form of entertainment and has housed as specators Italys’ true royalty, deserves as least a half day tour. We offer many variety of tours, including a Rome Day tour that includes a guided tour of the Coliseum.
- Tuscany, anywhere outside of Florence. While Florence is a the art capital of Italy, and it beautiful in its own right, Tuscany is a place of amazing beauty, tranquility and a place to discover the heart and soul of Italy. Tuscany can be discovered in many ways, including week long custom tours of Tuscany or simple day trips to Tuscany. When in Tuscany, stop and take pictures, lots of pictures. One of my favirote wineries to visit in Tenuta Casanova, where you will not only try some of the best wine in the region but also sample the worlds best balsamic vinegar and other Italian treats. Great cities to visit while in Tuscany include: (1) San Gimignano; (2) Siena; (3) Voltera; (4) Pienza; (5) Montepulciano; and, (7) Greve in Chianti.
- Venice Canals via a private gondola. When most think of Italy they picture romance.
Romance as you and your special someone float down the tiny canals of Venice, holding hands, sipping on a glass of wine. Well your imagination can come true. The best time (and most expensive) to rent a private gondola is at night time, but there is a reason. Nothing is more romantic than asking your gondola driver to get lost, floating through the tiniest of canals while the lights glisten off the water.
- Lake Como. Lake Como has more to offer other than being home to George Clooney. Lake Como is arguably the most beautiful area of Tuscany, a lake surrounded by the Italian Alps, and lined with the most picturesque villages, includingBellagio. The climate is very mild in the summer, thus drawing tourists to cool down for a few days.
- Amalfi Coast. The Amalfi Coast has been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its incredible stretch of coastline along the Sorrentine Peninsula. Perched on the steep mountains that fall to the sea below are hillside villages that offer some of the best views in the world. The most famous of these hillside perches is Positano, where tourists flock for the Italian culture combined with sea views.
Italy is a place of a thousand wonders of the world, it truly is. There is a reason tourists flock to this small and great nation each and every year. To narrow this vast list of attractions to five is nearly impossible. With this in mind, here are some of our honorable mentions.
- Honorable Mentions, Italy Tourist Attractions: Florence; Cinque Terre; Vatican City; and, the Roman Forum.